Texas Master Gardeners must complete 12 hours of continuing education each year to maintain their certification. There are many training opportunities available throughout the year. The guidelines for Advanced Training are (see Members Handbook for more details):
- Training from programs offered during DCMGA monthly association meetings
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, field trips sponsored or conducted by DCMGA
- Earth-Kind online training (can be taken only once)
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, specialist training listed on Texas Master Gardener Association including workshops, classes and lectures offered by other County Master Gardener Associations
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes or lectures offered by Texas AgriLife Extension
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures and tours offered during annual State Master Gardener Conference
- AT opportunities approved by Agent and announced to members by Denton County Extension Office via email or DCMGA website
- Research for DCMGA sponsored lectures, presentations or help desk
- Discretionary Horticulture educational workshops, classes or lectures up to three hours can be used for lectures at garden centers, clubs and other organizations. No prior approval is needed for these hours.
- See the DCMGA Handbook (revision April 2015) for additional pre-approved training vendors.
If a class or event that you are interested in does not fall under the above categories, you may request approval for attendance to be counted as AT by submitting the “Request Approval of a Class for AT Credit” form. You will receive an email confirmation of your request. After the request is reviewed, you will be notified of the decision regarding AT credit.
Additional Training Opportunities during Intern Classes
As partial fulfillment of advanced training requirements, Denton County Master Gardener veterans may take one or two classes during intern training each year, as a refresher. First day, last day, field trips and the some individual classes are not included in this opportunity. The fee to attend each intern class is $10.
Please be aware of the following rules:
- All AT classes for the 2016 Intern Classes must be registered online at DCMGA.com and paid for only via PayPal. There are no exceptions to this requirement. DCMGA will no longer accept cash, checks for payment nor unregistered walk-ins the day of class. Online class registration is on a first come, first served basis with ten veteran DCMGA members provided access to spaces at each of the designated classes. DCMGA veterans may register for up to two Intern Classes for AT per year.
- Each Intern class offers six hours of AT. The veteran must be attendance for the entire day to achieve these hours. Should a veteran leave a class early, the AT hours will reflect that change in attendance.
- As stated in existing DCMGA policy, any cancellation of a paid AT class registration is a forfeiture of payment – there are no refunds and we are unable to move that payment to another day. However, an individual can offer the paid class to someone else IF they notify Raeline Nobles at least one day in advance by email of the person’s name (firstname.lastname@example.org). Raeline must know who is going to attend AT classes so that sign in sheets can be appropriately updated and AT hours can be documented and confirmed for attending members.
- All DCMGA members are required to pay the AT registration fee. Specialty groups who may have had free access to AT hours from the Intern Classes in past are no longer exempt from payment.
- Please be considerate of the Interns and speakers; remain seated and do not talk during the presentations. Regular breaks will be scheduled.
All classes will take place at the Global Spheres Center in Corinth, not at the Extension office in Denton. The address is 7801 S. Stemmons Freeway (IH35E), Corinth TX 76210 (map).