Texas Master Gardeners must complete 12 hours of continuing education each year to maintain their certification. There are many training opportunities available throughout the year. The guidelines for Advanced Training are (see Members Handbook for more details):
- Training from programs offered during DCMGA monthly association meetings
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, field trips sponsored or conducted by DCMGA
- Earth-Kind online training (can be taken only once)
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, specialist training listed on Texas Master Gardener Association including workshops, classes and lectures offered by other County Master Gardener Associations
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes or lectures offered by Texas AgriLife Extension
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures and tours offered during annual State Master Gardener Conference
- AT opportunities approved by Agent and announced to members by Denton County Extension Office via email or DCMGA website
- Research for DCMGA sponsored lectures, presentations or help desk
- Discretionary Horticulture educational workshops, classes or lectures up to three hours can be used for lectures at garden centers, clubs and other organizations. No prior approval is needed for these three hours.
Additional Training Opportunities
- As partial fulfillment of advanced training requirements, Denton County Master Gardener veterans may take one or two classes during intern training, as a refresher each year. First day, last day, field trips and the some individual classes are not included in this opportunity. Fee to attend each intern class is $10. Click here to sign up for the 2015 classes.
Please be aware of the following rules:
- A maximum of 2 classes may be taken per year, to allow more veterans to take advantage of this opportunity.
- Attendance is limited to 10 veterans per class
- Attendance for the whole day (9 A.M.– 4 P.M.) is required.
- Prior registration online is required.
- The $10 fee may be paid via PayPal (preferred) at the time of registration, or you may bring cash or a check to class. Because space is limited for these classes, no refunds are allowed. If you find you can’t attend after you register, you may ask another Master Gardener to take your place or contact Sue Hudiburgh to remove your name from the roster so that someone else may register in your place.
- Please be considerate of the Interns and speakers; remain seated and do not talk during the presentations. Regular breaks will be scheduled.
- Upon completion of the class, 6 hours of AT may be claimed.
- If you register for a class, please don’t forget to attend.
All classes will take place at the Global Spheres Center in Corinth, not at the Extension office in Denton. The address is 7801 S. Stemmons Freeway (IH35E), Corinth TX 76210.