Texas Master Gardeners must complete 12 hours of continuing education each year to maintain their certification. There are many training opportunities available throughout the year. The guidelines for Advanced Training are (see Members Handbook for more details):
- Training from programs offered during DCMGA monthly association meetings
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, field trips sponsored or conducted by DCMGA
- Earth-Kind online training (can be taken only once)
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, specialist training listed on Texas Master Gardener Association including workshops, classes and lectures offered by other County Master Gardener Associations
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes or lectures offered by Texas AgriLife Extension
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures and tours offered during annual State Master Gardener Conference
- AT opportunities approved by Agent and announced to members by Denton County Extension Office via email or DCMGA website
- Research for DCMGA sponsored lectures, presentations or help desk
- Discretionary Horticulture educational workshops, classes or lectures up to three hours can be used for lectures at garden centers, clubs and other organizations. No prior approval is needed for these three hours
Additional Training Opportunities
- As partial fulfillment of advanced training requirements, Denton County Master Gardener veterans may take one or two classes during intern training, as a refresher each year. First day, last day, field trips and the some individual classes are not included in this opportunity. Fee to attend each intern class is $10.
- Special opportunity presented by the Gardenscapers! “Design For Your Yard: A comprehensive study on designing your own landscape” on Monday, June 2, 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. The class will be held at Extension office at 401 W. Hickory St, Denton. Seven hours of AT may be claimed after completion of the class. A $20 fee covers materials needed for the class and payment must be received prior to class to reserve your space. Space is limited and registration is required.
Please bring the following to class:
- A brownbag lunch
- Bring a Lot Survey of the yard or building you wish to focus on during the class. The survey should be with your deed or the papers on your house or building. The survey will provide you with cardinal directions (N, S, E, W), dimensions of the property and house/building as well as other general information.
- Phones, tablets, lap top, etc.
- Favorite writing/drawing pen
- Printed photographs of the yard or property to be a focus of your design.
- Any plant books, magazines or idea information that meets your fancy (Mark those you wish to retain with your name.)