Texas Master Gardeners must complete 12 hours of continuing education each year to maintain their certification. There are many training opportunities available throughout the year. The following types of education are approved for Advanced Training. See the Membership Handbook for more details.
- Training from programs offered during DCMGA monthly association meetings
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, field trips sponsored or conducted by DCMGA
- Earth-Kind online training (can be taken only once)
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures, specialist training listed on the Texas Master Gardener Association web page, including workshops, classes, and lectures offered by other County Master Gardener Associations
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes or lectures offered by Texas AgriLife Extension
- Horticulture Educational workshops, classes, lectures and tours offered during annual State Master Gardener Conference
- USDA “Introduction to Plant Identification” webinar (available at any time)
- AT opportunities approved by Agent and announced to members by Denton County Extension Office via email or DCMGA website
- Research for DCMGA sponsored lectures, presentations or help desk
- Discretionary Horticulture educational workshops, classes or lectures up to three hours can be used for lectures at garden centers, clubs and other organizations. No prior approval is needed for these hours.
- See the DCMGA Handbook for additional pre-approved training vendors.
If a class or event that you are interested in does not fall under the above categories, you may request approval for attendance to be counted as AT by submitting the “Request Approval of a Class for AT Credit” form. You will receive an email confirmation of your request. After the request is reviewed, you will be notified of the decision regarding AT credit.
Additional Training Opportunities during Intern Classes
As partial fulfillment of advanced training requirements, Denton County Master Gardener veterans may take one or two classes during intern training each year, as a refresher. First day, last day, field trips and some individual classes are not included in this opportunity. The fee to attend each intern class is $10.
In 2019, all classes will take place at the Global Spheres Center in Corinth. The address of the Global Spheres Center is 7801 S. Stemmons Freeway (IH35E), Corinth TX 76210 (map).
Please be aware of the following rules:
- Veterans who wish to attend intern classes must register online at DCMGA.com, using the link above, and pay only via PayPal. There are no exceptions to this requirement. DCMGA will no longer accept cash or checks for payment or unregistered walk-ins on class day. Online class registration is on a first come, first served basis with spaces for twelve veteran DCMGA members at each of the designated classes. Veterans may register for up to two intern classes for AT per year.
- Each intern class offers six hours of AT. The veteran must attend for the entire day to accrue these hours. Classes begin at 9 A.M. and end at 4 P.M. Should a veteran leave a class early, the AT hours will reflect that change in attendance.
- As stated in existing DCMGA policy, any cancellation of a paid AT class registration will forfeit payment. There are no refunds, and we are unable to move that payment to another day. However, an individual can offer the paid class to someone else IF they notify Raeline Nobles of the substitution at least one day in advance by email. Raeline must know who is going to attend AT classes so that sign-in sheets can be appropriately updated and AT hours can be documented and confirmed for attending members. Note that handouts for the class will be delivered via email by the Saturday before class. If someone else attends in your place, please forward the handouts to them. No paper handouts will be available in class.
- All DCMGA members are required to pay the AT registration fee. Special groups who may have had free access to AT hours from the intern classes in past are no longer exempt from payment.
- Please be considerate of the interns and speakers; remain seated and do not talk during the presentations. Regular breaks will be scheduled.