On this page:
If you need help with VMS, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the problem, and the VMS team will assist you.
Volunteer Service & Continuing Education Logging Procedures
- Only actual time may be recorded.
- Log to the nearest quarterly increment, i.e., .25, .50, .75.
- Log on a frequent basis as this data is used by our CEA-Horticulture Agent to compile monthly state and local required reports.
Description: Brief explanation of activity.
Travel Time: Direct, round trip travel time for volunteer service at in-person events may be recorded in addition to the actual time worked when logging Volunteer Service hours. Travel time is not applicable when attending CE functions.
Continuing Education (CE):
- Hours for Veterans are to be logged under the CE Hours column of the appropriate project – or – under the project: Continuing Education (non-Project specific) CE hours column.
- Travel time is not applicable to CE events.
- Interns may attend CE events but may not claim hours.
- May be recorded for DCMGA non-approved horticulture-related training (CE) and volunteer service (VS).
- Up to three (3) hours max each (CE and VS) for members with less than 10 years of service.
- Up to six (6) hours max each (CE and VS) for members with more than 10 years of service.
Unless otherwise directed, NO VS or CE hours are permitted for attendance at Field Trips, the annual Christmas Party or the annual Graduation & Award Banquet.
- All class training is logged under Intern Basic Training-CE hours column.
- All in-class support activities, completed by Interns, such as set-up/tear-down, hospitality is to be recorded under Intern Basic Training-VS hours column.
- Hours for Veterans involved in Intern Class-related support activities such as mentoring, hospitality, assisting in class, first and last day lunches etc., are to be recorded under Intern Class Administration-VS hours column.
Project Managers: Please indicate the Project Name on your Sign-In sheets.
UPDATES to VS/CE Hours
The following apply to DCMGA Monthly Meetings:
- VS for veterans and interns: VS time applies for attendance at the monthly association meetings business portion either in-person or virtual. Actual time should be logged under VMS project: Administration-VS Hours column. Direct, roundtrip travel time may also be included for in-person attendance.
- CE Program – Veterans: CE time applies for attendance during the educational program of either an in-person or virtual meeting. Actual time should be logged under VMS project: Continuing Education-CE hours column. Drive time is not allowed for CE events.
- Interns may attend/view but may not claim CE hours.
- Meeting Support VS for veterans and interns: Additional VS time is allowed for support work completed before or after an in-person or virtual meeting such as hospitality, technology, room set-up/clean-up, speaker presentation. This additional time should be recorded with attendance time under VMS project: Administration-VS hours column.
Note: Replays of recorded monthly meetings/programs (if available) will continue to be allowed for the present. Business portion actual viewing time (VS) and the program portion (CE) may be logged for Veterans under the same guidelines as above. Interns may not claim CE hours.
Disclaimer: if meetings are in-person only, there may not be recordings available. Even if meetings are hybrid, there may not be recordings available.
Updated: February 8, 2022